Games and Sports help in personal growth that includes a variety of physical and psychological factors. Involvement of youth in sports and games is a viable method of promoting good health. There is a positive relationship between psychological well-being and regular involvement in physical activity, especially in the areas of reduction of anxiety and depression. Sport also serves as a mechanism for the transmission of values, knowledge, and norms in creating social harmony and exercise through sporting activities is an excellent stress reliever.
Engaging youths in sports teaches young people how to interact and work together toward a common goal. Teamwork in Football, Hockey and Cricket is one of the most important skills that students learn, and nowhere is this easier to teach than on the sports field. Here students can learn how each individual's effort combined with that of their team-mates creates the chances of success for the team.
Even if a child isn't happy with team sports, there are plenty of sporting opportunities where individual effort is required. Track and field events, Tennis, Squash, Table tennis are usually the more obvious ones. Students get the chance to test their skills against peers at inter-house athletics events in much the same way that the teams compete in junior and senior league matches.
At Aitchison College, sports are essential part of general education. While our pupils are on the playing fields we strive to inculcate self-respect, confidence, discipline and the team spirit to achieve goals. Aitchison College takes pride in maintaining high standards in all fields of activity including sports.
It is our aim that the students should:
- Develop an appreciation of sports, games and physical activities.
- Acquire skill and understanding of a range of culturally significant games and activities.
- Build up an understanding of the importance of physical fitness and means by which it is achieved & measured.
- Increase their competence level in sports and health promoting exercises.
- Expand and value desirable personal characteristics including empathy, selflessness, persistence and sportsmanship through willing participation in a range of sporting activities.
The Games and Sports Department of Aitchison College is managed by the following highly dedicated, skilful and responsible individuals:
- Head of Sports (All Schools)
- Director Sports
- Assistant Games Superintendent Senior School
- Assistant Games Superintendent Prep. School
- Games Mistress Junior School
- Professional Coaches
- Support Staff
We offer a wide range of Games and Sports and these are organized on a compulsory basis during School hours in the Junior and Preparatory Schools whereas the Senior School boys enjoy these facilities in the evening according to a published and well organized programme.
A student has to opt for two games
at the beginning of each term, other than swimming, which is compulsory. The given choice may be changed by the students at the beginning of each term (not during the term). The following games are offered by the College:
- Field Hockey
- Lawn Tennis
- Water Polo
- Table Tennis
- Mini Gym Facility
The College has excellent facilities such as a complete Riding School, two standard Cricket Pavilions, three 25 meter by eight lane Swimming pools, four Football fields, five Hockey fields; a three court Squash Complex with wooden floors, several grass, synthetic and hard surface Tennis courts, outdoor Basketball courts and a huge Hall for indoor games and Physical Training. Our Grounds and Gardens are well kept by a highly devoted and efficient team of grounds men.
It is important to note that:
- Games choice forms are filled by the students and returned to the Games Department of Preparatory & Senior Schools at the beginning of the term.
- College teams have exclusive coaching sessions on a day different from the league matches and competitions.
- Modern fitness equipment is also available with trained staff to teach and supervise the boys to use this facility in a safe and progressive manner.